Monday, May 12, 2008

Cecilia: An experience for life

Everyone should take the opportunity to become a volunteer. That is my conclusion after working as a volunteer at Conviven for nearly 2.5 months, writes our former volunteer Cecilia from Sweden.

Being a part of a team and knowing that your effort and contribution matters is a good feeling, as well as dedicating your time to people that are less fortunate than you when it comes to education, work, health and opportunities in life. A few years back, I actually attended a program called the corporate community and engagement program, a program meant to prepare its participants for the future workforce by organising volunteer placements. Back then, I was too busy with university and my part-time job to really appreciate my volunteer placement. As you probably can imagine, I did not stay for a very long time.

Therefore, when deciding to go to Argentina to work as a volunteer, I decided to take some serious time off in order to really be able to enjoy my stay, as well as making a difference, if not a great one, at least a small one that would matter to someone. And as a result, my experience became a totally different one. Being able to see the progress the kids make at class, as well as the improvements that take place thanks to dedicated staff and volunteers is really a good feeling. Also, the opportunity of becoming a part of a different kind of lifestyle and culture.

I can only hope that the future volunteers will take care of Conviven in the same way as the present and old volunteers have. And not forgetting that their time and experience here also will be one for life.

No comments: